O U T S I D E L E F T   stay i n d e p e n d e n t

Happy Shopper #21: Charles Stuart

Slowfoot Records recording artiste, Charles Stuart is outsideleft's latest Happy Shopper

get the weekly Outsideleft newsletter
by Paul Hawkins, for outsideleft.com
originally published: June, 2008
Barnardos in Brixton, 98 per cent of my wardrobe comes from there.

Musician Charles Stuart, who we interviewed a few months back, gave us the lowdown on his Happy Shopping habits.

1) What was the last electrical appliance you bought?
Probably a keyboard. I am always on the look out for keyboards; pink keyboards, black keyboards, silver keyboards, old keyboards, new keyboards, cheap keyboards, broken keyboards, small keyboards, big keyboards, clean keyboards, dirty keyboards. I use them for all kinds of stuff. Sometimes I play them!

2) How many shoes do you own?
Well....... probably too many, but I do wear them all! Honest.......man, me and my catholic guilt

3) Thinking about only what you are wearing now and including your watch, jewellery and glasses if you wear them, how much would it cost me to get dressed up just like you? And where would I have to go to get the look?
15.50(pounds) You can get jeans, a sweatshirt, and a belt from Barnardo's and still get change from a 20! Its the way forward man. Its cheap and you are recycling too.

4) What are you going to be eating for dinner tonight?
I don't really know. I've been away for a week and my fridge is smelly and empty.

5) What is the most amount you have ever spent on a bottle of wine or other alcoholic beverage and when and where was it?
Sixteen pounds and ninety-nine for a bottle of French Brandy. I think I was in one of those Supermarkets at the time..

6) What and where is your favourite shop?
Barnardos in Brixton, It's a second hand shop and 98% of my wardrobe comes from there. The other 2% is my old primary school T-shirt which I still wear! (just about!)

7) How do you get around town?
Slowly, on foot, buses, trains and the odd cab.

8) Where is your favourite place to holiday?
At the moment its Berlin. My other half lives there and its full of cool places and chilled out people.

Charles is working on his follow up to his album The Man Who Likes Watching, out on Slowfoot Records. He is also a member of the band Snorkel whose album Glass Darkly was released recently.

www.myspace.com/charlesstuart
www.myspace.com/slowfootrecords

see more stories from outsideleft's Music archive »»

Paul Hawkins

Paul Hawkins has been interested in popular culture and music, protest and survival for as long as we can remember. He began writing about things, making music and other noise at an early age. Paul has interviewed musicians, writers, poets, protestors and artists.

Outsideleft Night In
OL's Daily Playlist to Stay In For
mon.29.june, OUTSIDELEFT 100
[ MORE INFO / NIGHT IN PAGE »» ]

MORE STORIES TO READ...


thumb through the ancient archives:

search for something you might like...


sign up for the outsideleft weekly. a selection of new and archived stories every week. Or less.

View previous campaigns.

R.E.M. - An Acronym for Themselves
Once upon a time R.E.M. carried ancient burdens, young despite the years. Alex V. Cook offers his shared history with the band
The Anarchist and the iPod
Yearning for the unpredictable, Malcolm Macdonald suggests sacrilege...or at least leaving the iPod at home once in a while...
Inhaling Deeply and Exhaling Slowly... With Snorkel
Meet Snorkel, and explore their sub-aquatic deviations of dub, jazz and afro-beat vs. electronica
Millicent Chapanda Week in Outsideleft
Next week is mbira musician, Millicent Chapanda week in OUTSIDELEFT, don't miss it!
Everybody! Punch the Sky!
Bobby Conn dredges up a bat out of hell from the costume closet and comes up with a glorious balm for the temporary death of satire upon us. RIP Kurt Vonnegut.
Behind the Counterculture #24: Bob Geldof
Some of our favorite things...