Tough times, unless you're sick or already dead and then it's truly the shittiest of times and someone actually does your blood on their hands and at no point will those hands be held up to accept any degree of responsibility. The new times, no one is accountable. Meanwhile, the livelihoods of those still living have been lost and once those remaining alive are press-ganged back to work by the withdrawal of financial support, then as we used to say, the fun will really start.
Meanwhile. We're dealing with what is. And what is no secret is that our favorite pen and ink galpal is the breezily brilliant artist Lorna Rose. Her unique series of bus drawings took our breath away. On a journey maybe at least. Like all life as we know it is right there in someone's journey on someone's bus on Lorna's page. As vivid and as great a journey as the one we took on Sol Calero's El Autobus, oh back in the middle of last year.
Our love of Lorna's bus art might have been supplanted though, by her recent greenhouse sketch. OMG... And gardens are just areas loaded with tasks to be avoided... Often with poor broadband. So. This is a special love. This is an especially powerful greenhouse. And... There are two greenhouses I've loved this year, both by acclaimed British artists. Lorna's Greenhouse and Deirdre Hawthorne's rewilded one... Check them out on insta man.
Meanwhile, in a small corner, a response to all that swirls around is the ARTIST SUPPORT PLEDGE that Lorna is participating in. Making it a not quite perfect, but a very good time to collect some of her art... Here's the ARTIST SUPPORT PLEDGE pitch, it's a good one. This is from Mathhew Burrows' website.
This is the HOW TO guide to participate in ARTIST SUPPORT PLEDGE
1. Anyone, anywhere, in any medium can take part.
2. Post your image/s on your Instagram account
3. If possible use the ARTIST SUPPORT PLEDGE logo and text, by reposting or using a screenshot. You can also cut and paste from this website (see ARTIST SUPPORT PLEDGE page)
4. Give details of the work and price (no more than 200USD, 200GDP, 200 EURO or 20000JPY)
5. Ask for anyone interested to DM (message) you
6. Follow the # to see new content as it is posted
7. When you have sold $1000 (£1000) worth of work fulfil the pledge and spend $200 (£200) on another artist/s work.
8. If in doubt do it in a spirit of generosity, that's all that matters
9. Stay connected for more opportunities by following @artistsupportpledge
It really is that simple, just add the # and instagram does the rest
A creative generosity creates a generous creativity
Outsideleft exists on a precarious no budget budget. We are interested in hearing from deep and deeper pocket types willing to underwrite our cultural vulture activity. We're not so interested in plastering your product all over our stories, but something more subtle and dignified for all parties concerned. Contact us and let's talk. [HELP OUTSIDELEFT]
If Outsideleft had arms they would always be wide open and welcoming to new writers and new ideas. If you've got something to say, something a small dank corner of the world needs to know about, a poem to publish, a book review, a short story, if you love music or the arts or anything else, write something about it and send it along. Of course we don't have anything as conformist as a budget here. But we'd love to see what you can do. Write for Outsideleft, do. [SUBMISSIONS FORM HERE]