In our previous, much loved series Behind The Counter Culture we brought you all the news about celebrities in or near our favourite West London second hand store. It was as if "Richard Brautigan wrote for Hello magazine" or so we are told. With that series set aside until its publication in book form in time for your Christmas stocking we now bring you a new consumer series. We are calling it Happy Shopper.
A lot of top celebrities have things they want you to buy from them; Books, records, films etc. We are certainly ready to consume as much as we can. But we were wondering what those said celebrities actually bought for themselves.
First up it's the masterminds behind Mordant Music. They have a rather splendid new album available now. It's called Dead Air. A strange mix of cold war terror and breakbeats. It drips decay with an ice box shudder. We have it on repeat here at Outsideleft. All night, when the office is closed.
Baron Mordant & Admiral Greyscale are our first Happy Shoppers.
1)What was the last electrical appliance you bought?
2) How many shoes do you own?
3) Thinking about only what you are wearing now and including your watch, jewellery and glasses if you wear them, how much would it cost me to get dressed up just like you?
An acre of muddy florins
4) What are you going to be eating for dinner tonight?
5) What is the most amount you have ever spent on a bottle of wine or other alcoholic beverage and when and where was it?
zwolf guinea/August '56/Bruges
6) What and where is your favourite shop?
7) How do you get around town?
8) Where is your favourite place to holiday?
The pair are dressed in orange in the photograph above. Visit them here www.mordantmusic.com
the first journalism Lake ever had published was a history of Johnny Thunders for Record Collector magazine, since then he has written for publications including the Guardian, Dazed and Confused, the Idler and more recently, outsideleft.com as you have just seen.
Sharon and Rob and Carrie are back as the happiest foul-mouthed family on TV